Visit our Website for more content: www.mmmrmag.com

Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Herbert Huncke's America - Edited By Jerome Poynton Literary Executor - Didi

Didi


The ticking of the clock I found yesterday stopped and I wound it and now it gives out the life beat of the hours.

For an instant I almost felt the need to begin in another place in this notebook but – after a flash reflection – continued with this which is already started.

The weekend was incredible with many people falling on the scene I hadn’t been in touch with. It was a weekend of all kinds of drugs from ordinary pot through barbiturates, amphetamines, heroin, cocaine and LSD.

The general tenor of last Friday, Saturday and Sunday was good and several people spoke of it as the time of Leo’s ascendancy and coming alive. I know several people born of that sign and one in particular – Didi.

Didi the beautiful one – sensitive and fleet – who believes her nature with shaded eyelids and languid cat-green eyes that see everything. She is small and can assume any role assigned her. Her hair wash blond color when we first met – through my boy – dear John Wieners – and the three of us walked in the fresh gentle morning winds bathed in the pale light and Didi and John, and sometimes I, sang songs of the past.

Roughly six years have passed since then.

Didi has never permitted me too deep a glance into her – so very vulnerable a being – which knows too well loneliness and need of love – but whose strength sends it ever seeking even though invariably it drops defences at a moments notice and Didi is again a lover and woman of fortitude and cunning – sharp and keen – strong and enduring, full of wit and good spirit yet forever the eternal female – ever ready to fulfil whatever obligation is required to complete the unit of two – the male and the female – man and woman.

She feels deeply and probes deeper still for her answer and although her mind is alive and healthy – her heart is large and dominates the mind and has made her one of the beautiful women of her era – and one of the few honest women – or men for that matter – I’ve known or know of.

She will always be as long as I live (and I would make of that a very positive thing – where it within my power) and – if my fates are generous with me – my heart’s last beat will stop the quicker and with cleaner severance from the life force for the fine and good love and friendship of Didi.



Didi
(an afterword)

by Jerome Poynton


Herbert Huncke died August 8, 1996; in January 1997 my apartment phone rang.

This is Didi,” a woman’s voice said.

I only knew of one Didi, the title of Herbert Huncke’s story.

Since that I time I learned Sharon (Didi) Morrill Doyle was married to San Francisco Renaissance poet Kirby Doyle. She made a short film with him and Larry Jordan titled Portrait of Sharon in 1963 and was published in Diane DiPrima’s Floating Bear, issue #32 and possibly in Semina Culture.

Didi moved to New York and was paramour with Bobby Driscoll, famous childhood actor for Walt Disney (Peter Pan) and Bryon Haskins (Treasure Island). Bobby Driscoll won an Academy Award at age 12. As an adult, Driscoll became an obscure drug user. His films were made before actor residuals and he died broke in an abandoned tenement March 30, 1968. With no identification his body was classified as “John Doe” and buried in Potter’s Field for New York’s unclaimed bodies.

In his final film, Didi played opposite Bobby Driscoll – both in nun costume – in Piero Heliczer film, Dirt, produced by Andy Warhol. She is credited as “Dee Dee Driscoll” but I don’t think they were ever legally married.





At the time of her call, I only knew Didi from the Huncke story – not her films with Heliczer and Jordan or her writing in Floating Bear. With the sound of her voice, it was “love at first sound”, and I melted.

I went to the library,” she told me. “Of all my friends I thought – maybe Huncke – would have published a book. I asked the librarian if there was anything by Herbert Huncke. She said yes, they didn’t have it but could order it via inter-library loan.”

They called me when the book came in. I went to the library to pick it up. Walking down the font steps, I opened the book and it opened to Didi.”

---

Over the next couple of months Didi and I had telephone conversations and letters.

She spoke about her breaking out of prison – the women’s prison in Montreal – New Years Eve – “in 1967 or 68,” she said.

It was the year of the Expo, it could have been either.”

She was returning to the United States, via Montreal – from Morocco with a stop over in Paris where she purchased a set of matching luggage.

I always wanted a matching set of luggage and in Paris, I bought a set.”

Entering Montreal, extra vigilance was being paid due to the Expo, and she was “busted” as her Moroccan luggage contained “two kilos of the most wonderful cannabis.”

At trial, the evidence, “her two wonderful two kilos of cannabis,” had been switched-out for scrub Canadian weed. The final insult:

To get busted and robbed simultaneously.”

Oh well,” they gave her nine years in the Établissement de détention Maison Tanguay, the women’s prison in Montreal.


The Canadian prison was peaceful; but it was still prison. A formidable metal screen stretched over her second floor window, overlooking the prison yard with barbed wire fencing.

On Canadian holidays, extra care was given to the holiday meal – meat, turkey – and inmates were given the option of eating in commissary or in their cell alone.

Her Thanksgiving her meal arrived in her cell with a steak knife.

I took that knife and it cut through the screen like butter. They said it was impenetrable.”

Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve inmates would be given the same option.

She planned her escape.

From Didi’s window she could see the flight path of planes coming and going from Montreal’s airport. She learned flight times for the planes to New York and of a special morning flight on Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.

She didn’t want to leave without her luggage. She petitioned the court that her Paris luggage was not used in the service of her crime, and should be returned. It was. She learned her lawyer misappropriated $2,000 and she demanded he return it, in cash, or she would report his actions to the Canadian Bar Association. He did.

She had her luggage, cash and knew on New Year’s Eve she would have a steak knife.

She made a form of herself asleep in bed.

I left a copy of the Koran under my pillow,” she said.
I thought it might give them something to think about.”

Near midnight she lowered herself (with bed sheets) and luggage down from her second floor cell.

She brought along a blanket for the barbed-wire fence. She didn’t have to. The front prison gate was wide open and she heard the guards partying. She snuck out into the employee parking lot – hiding behind parked cars – finding a street – walking with her luggage. In the distance she saw an idling cab with its light on.

She took the cab to the airport and hid in the women’s rest room until prior to the 7 AM flight and stormed the gate – in hysterics – saying she had to get back to New York.

I told them I was a New York Jew.”

She explained she was in Montreal because her daughter had run-off with a “draft dodger” and while looking for her, she was robbed of of her identification.

She bought a ticket with cash, no identification, and was on the plane. Once seated she called the stewardess over.

Today’s a special day, you wouldn’t happen to have a bottle of champagne?”

Of course,” was the reply.

When the plane took off – looking out the window – she could see her former house of residence and toasted the prison with a glass of champagne.

What did you do when you got to New York,” I asked?

I called Huncke,” she replied. “He gave me a place to stay.”

The prison didn’t know she was gone till 10am New Year’s Day.

In the early 1990s Didi was a reformed citizen working a straight job (possibly under alias Zola Terri Morrill) in a city office in Southern California. One day two FBI men came into the office and she knew her gig was up. They sent her back to prison in Montreal. There was a board in the prison with the names of women who had escaped – there were two names of women who had not been recaptured – and her name was scratched off, leaving only one name.

I had to serve a year,” she said.


Didi’s death: Didi and I became quite close over the winter months. I was in the midst of working on The Escape Artist, a play by Michael Laurence at the Phil Bosakowski Theater.

Didi decided she would come to New York for an open-ended visit. Her plan was to arrive on a Thursday night, spend the first night with her friend Pat Chapman near Tompkins Square Park and in the morning we would meet for a famous New York deli breakfast – egg on a roll with coffee – and she would come back and stay with me in my 5th Avenue apartment.

On Thursday night she didn’t call and on Friday morning I phoned Pat Chapman, asking for Didi.

Pat was not happy. Didi had not shown up.

I phoned her California phone and a man answered.

Is Didi there,” I asked?

Who is this,” the man asked suspiciously?

I told him.

He exhaled deeply. “I know who you are,” he said. “Didi spoke of you.
I’m her brother.”

Didi died,” he continued. “They Police found her parked in her car, on the side of the road, on the way to the airport. The car was running. She had her plane ticket. Her luggage was in the trunk.”

He did not know the cause of death.

The police got to her house before us. I don’t know if they found anything or not.”