Visit our Website for more content: www.mmmrmag.com

Friday, June 28, 2013

Inside Thoughts By Adam Brook



Well folks I have to admit I was quite surprised by the latest decision from the Michigan Supreme Court. In People v Rodney L. Koon the Supreme Court in a unanimous opinion reversed the Court of Appeals. The opinion said that the Court of Appeals erroneously held that the Michigan Vehicle Code “ operating a motor vehicle with any amount of a schedule 1 controlled substance in the driver’s body, even if the driver used marijuana under the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act (MMMA).” Now I know that ALL the judges on the Court of Appeals have more education than I do. But what I don’t understand is how you can become a judge and not have the ability to read and comprehend? That befuddles me. They have had to have read the MMMA, or you would hope they had? It clearly says, as the Supreme Court pointed out, “All other acts and parts of acts inconsistent with this act do not apply to the medical use of marihuana as provided for by this act.” Now truth be told the MMMA also says that the “act shall not permit any person to “operate, navigate, or be in actual physical control of any motor vehicle, aircraft, or motorboat while under the influence of marihuana.” I will admit we have no test to measure “under the influence” when it comes to marijuana. That is not our fault. The law is clear and it’s a shame that judges on the Court of Appeals got it so wrong. I suspect they just did not read the MMMA, just as many of those who claimed that it was a poorly written had never actually read it. Another telling fact, besides the unanimous opinion, is that the Supreme Court agreed with the arguments made by Koon’s appellate attorneys and decided the case without even hearing oral arguments or allowing the Grand Traverse County Prosecutor to file a reply brief, a big FUCK YOU if you ask me. 

What I don’t understand, Ok I do but it makes no sense, is why Marijuana is still considered a Schedule 1 substance? Michigan’s public health code states that a controlled substance fits within schedule 1 if “the substance has a high potential for abuse and has no accepted medical use in treatment in the United States or lacks accepted safety for use in treatment under medical supervision.” Again I think that we may have leaders who while they may be able to read, comprehension may be an issue. Since April, after the legislature stuck their noses in the game, we clearly have a law in Michigan that requires medical supervision in order to legally use medicinal marijuana. Their vote also shows that THEY accept the fact that there is some medicinal benefit, since they required a doctor patient relationship. I don’t understand how you can be smart enough to get elected and still participate in such a corrupt system. When this country was founded these people would have been run out of office and maybe even town. 

I came across an article about a $2.2-million federally funded study that will try to answer the question “Does medicinal marijuana reduce pain” The problem is, as I see it, is that the funding is coming from the National Institute on Drug Abuse and going to the University of Michigan.
The University is well known for the study it does on marijuana use among youth. Now it’s really about a study as much as it’s a survey. They ask a bunch of high school kids (who we all know always tell the truth) if they have smoked marijuana in the last 30 days or if they have friends who have. Why would you believe ANYTHING these kids say? So, this new study is being done by the same U-M study leader (who I will not embarrass by naming) who claims that some of his past studies have shown that pain was reduced. He also claimed that long term functioning of medical marijuana users is really unknown. ARE YOU KIDDING? Folks been smoking marijuana REGULARLY in this country for about 100 years. Some being the greatest musicians, poets, artists and thinkers. Then you have the working man, athlete and college students . If marijuana was a problem it would be obvious. 

What is obvious is that the University of Michigan is about to scam the federal government out of  2.2 million. There is no difference between medical marijuana and non-medical marijuana that I have seen, and believe me I have smoked lots and lots of marijuana. Not to say that we haven’t learned what properties in different strains and in different strengths can do a body good. The reason I said it is a scam is that the study leader said ‘’I see this as a starting point for more research” REALLY? What he means is I see this as a great way to get more grant money here at the University. Now you might be thinking that this is a study you would like to participate in. If you have a card it ain’t gonna happen. The study is being done with the participation of doctors. Participants will be approached by research staff at their first doctor’s appointment that is part of the process to become a registered medical marijuana user. It would be nice to get a copy of the list of participating doctors. I am sure it is top secret, but where there is a will there is a way.

Two weeks ago I had a very pleasant surprise. I was walking through the chow line and I guy I have known for 20 years walks right on by. Now I knew I knew the face. I knew that he had met Jack Herer at one of my preHASH BASH parties and they became close. I knew he had been in my home. I knew he helped me move. But it had been at least two years since I had seen him and as he was standing 10 feet away and I could not remember his name. Now it’s funny how the brain works and I started to remember that he was a guy with two first names. Then I remembered one of the two names and a minute later I was able to come up with the second. Then I was able to remember them in the proper order. I called out his last name. He looked around wondering who could be calling his name. He had just arrived on the compound an hour earlier and this was his first meal in the chow hall. Once our eyes met a big smile came over his face. I told him to come find me when they opened yard that night. You have to know that over the last few months I have basically kept to myself. I have realized that this place if full of people I have no interest in knowing. I have made 3 friends here, one has gone home, one leaves a month after me and the other will be here for another year. Out of 1800 guys there are a few others I would meet up with in the world, but in a public place and they would never learn where I live. So now I have a friend, a true friend, from the outside world that I can sit with and talk about our past and all kinds of things that are not related to prison. We spend about 1.5 hours a day (when the weather is nice, I can’t do heat) talking and shooting the shit. While I would never admit to being happy that someone I know is in prison, it brightens my last few months here to have a good friend to spend the time with. 

As of this writing I am down to 115 days. I never knew 24 hrs. could take so long. I look forward to getting back out and pulling my weight as an activist. With over 100,000 medical marijuana card holders we should have a much larger voice. I will work my hardest to make that happen. 

Remember - LIFE IS SHORT, SMOKE HARD!
Peace,
ADAM BROOK #816462
Parnall Correctional Facility
Jackson, MI

Check out our website.