Visit our Website for more content: www.mmmrmag.com

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

The Freedom Ride - by Daniel L. Price, Esq.



     It is now February, it’s almost spring!  But winter remains, something I was reminded of on January 13th.  I was traveling southbound on US 131 just south of Reed City, when I hit black ice and began to slide on the road.  I first slid to the left across the lanes, then back across the road and to the right shoulder.  My truck slid down into the grassy area and came to what I thought was a full stop.  Next thing I knew I was upside down, blood squirting out of my forehead.  Immediately several people stopped and talked to me through the opening where the rear, and driver side windows used to be. 

     The feeling of being confined in my seat upside down was too much for me.  I kept asking someone to cut the seatbelt that held me confined in the seat.  I explained I was not hurt.  I was bleeding pretty badly so he worried that it could hurt me further.  I convinced him to cut me out.  Thank you sir.

     I kept thinking, what if I were a medical marijuana patient and had my medication in the truck, how would government actors approach the scene?  As an attorney who defends freedom throughout this state, I see so many government actors’ negative reactions to the medical marijuana community.  So I curiously waited.

     The ambulance crew were first.  They were concerned of a head injury, so asked me several questions.  When satisfied I was coherent, they guided me to the ambulance to check me out.  While in the ambulance, an officer poked his head in and asked a couple questions.  I informed him I had a shot-gun and an AR-15 in the bed of the truck, and at least a thousand rounds of ammunition.  What can I say, I really enjoy my right to defend myself.  I told him of my concern for the weapons potentially getting into the wrong hands. 

     The officer thanked me and saw to it that the weapons and ammunition were safely retrieved and guarded.  As it turns out, that officer and his partner are from the Osceola County Sheriff’s Office, and they believe in the right to bear arms.

     The deputies offered to take me to a location to meet someone for a ride, as I refused to go to the hospital.  One of the deputies also used his own cell phone to allow a friend to contact me through the dispatch so she could confirm I was ok.  You see, one of those kind people who stopped called the person I asked to be contacted, as she was the first person who came into my mind during the ordeal. 

     The deputies then allowed me to put all of my belongings, including the weapons and ammunition, into their patrol car, and took me to the location to meet her.  On that ride, we talked about our work and my philosophy of freedom, in the context of their law enforcement duties.  I was quite surprised to find out that these two deputies actually had some similar views.  As we spoke, I realized that the deputies were actually encouraged to hear words of freedom.  I explained that alleged “crimes” that have no victims have no place in a society based upon freedom.  They admitted that they had never thought of things in the same way.  Yet, these two deputies were open to listening and learning more.  In fact, one of the officers said he would like to have an attorney with my philosophy in his corner if he ever needed one.  I was pleasantly surprised.

     It took about 30 minutes or more, but we arrived at my destination, and the deputies went in and explained to the people in the gas station why I was there and why I had the weapons and ammunition.  Wow, I never thought I would ever have an interaction with government actors like that.  To those deputies, I tip my hat and humbly say thank you. 

     It is encouraging to see that there are those in government that seek the ideas of freedom, which was absolutely lacking in their indoctrination in the schools as they were growing up.  I hope that in the future, those deputies will remember our conversation, when they are faced with a driver who does have a medical marijuana card.  I hope that the deputies will not only recognize freedom, but will use their position to fight for the right of self-determination for all individuals.  I hope the deputies realize and remember that if they do not fight for the right to self-determination, it will eventually be destroyed by those who seek to deny them their freedom! 

Thank you again to the Osceola Sheriff’s Deputies. Till next month, as always, keep rolling on.

Disclaimer:  This is an informational article only.  It is not to provide individual legal advice.  If you need legal services, feel free to contact me, or any attorney of your choosing.